Friday, February 17, 2017

The Power of Words by Texie Susan Gregory


Texie Susan Gregory

As writers, we’re aware that words can encourage and inspire, but there’s also a flip side to that power. Author Texie Susan Gregory shares what almost stopped her journey to publication. ~ Dawn

The Power of Words

Every night when I was a little girl, Mother sat on my bed and with her expressive voice and face brought life to a Bible story.  I knew the stories so well that sometimes the people seemed like distant relatives—grandfather Abraham, Uncle Paul, cousin Esther.

After discovering Elizabeth Speare’s book, The Bronze Bow, I realized people other than those I ‘knew’ had lived and loved and laughed during Bible times.

Astonishing! 

Searching for other Biblical novels, I was dismayed to discover there were very few in the school library. Thus began both the dream to see my book on a bookshelf and the quest to write the stories of the unknown people of Biblical times. 

As a ten year old, my first attempt—an ambitious undertaking about Mary Magdalene - was typed on onion paper. (Remember that thin, easily erasable paper?)

Fast forward to college when I dared show a short story to an esteemed professor. His words still echo through my mind. “If you enjoy it, keep writing but nothing will ever come of it.”

Devastated, I quit writing.

A harsh response? Yes, but so much more—a lesson in the power of words.

Years later as a young mother, an understanding of the significance and incredible influence of mothering bubbled up and over. Words spilled onto pages, first as letters to my children, then as vignettes that I performed as monologues at conferences and churches.

The bulb of a dream which had ‘hibernated’ for years, strengthened by life and nourished by the prayers of a mother who continued to believe I was a writer, pushed its little head out of Fear and into Hope. I joined a writer’s group in our church and attended the Mt. Hermon Christian Writer’s Conference where writers are encouraged to approach editors and agents.

Abject terror might begin to describe my fear as I approached first one and then another editor/agent.  Without exception they were kind, attentive, and encouraging.

When an agent advised developing one of the vignettes into a novel, I was dumbfounded. Was it possible? How do you do that?

Choosing Jochebed, the mother of Moses as ‘dough’, I pulled out my writer’s rolling pin, dusted the surface with prayer and began to shape the story into being.

The theme? A lesson I learned years ago—the power of our words ripple through years and lives. The incredible influence we wield as writers/parents/teachers carries enormous responsibility. 





Jochebed’s Hope is the story of a mother’s influence, of frayed hope and the search for faith. It is a story of relationships between a mother and daughter, three childhood friends, and the love story of the most powerful man on earth.




Texie Susan Gregory holds a master’s degree in Counseling from Appalachian State University and a Master of Religious Education from Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary. She has taught in both public and private schools, worked as a hospital chaplain and been a ministry wife for thirty-one years. She and her husband moved to Maryland a year ago. They have two children, Tyler (28) and Elizabeth (26).

You can learn more and connect with Texie at the following online sites:

Author website: www.texiesusangregory.com  


 

6 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with something I'd written early on. It was only through the grace of God and one long-suffering mentor that I've continued writing.

    Congratulations on your new book and for pressing on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm so glad you continued writing!

      Delete
  2. I loved Slender Reeds. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. I love Susan's imagery, and it's delightful when she uses it in describing her intriguing novel, too. I like the way she spoke of using the story as dough, dusting it with prayer, and beginning work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's purposes will not be thwarted. So glad there were those who encouraged you. Your book has been a blessing to me and my girls. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!