Thursday, June 2, 2016

Don't Let Summer Heat Cool Your Writing by Susan Tuttle


It’s SUMMER! We have slogged through the never-ending winter days, school craziness, and multiple rounds of various viruses—and we made it! The days are longer, warmer, and sunnier. They are meant to play in and savor. I love summer. Love it.
 
Problem is, while I’m all for summer laziness, it’s not so hot on my writing schedule. In fact, I find my writing schedule can cool slightly for the summer. And while taking a break is at times a necessity, writers need to keep their momentum going. Adjust your schedule if need-be, or pick different writing exercises, but find ways to still write. Maybe you pull out a notepad while on the beach and write a flash fiction piece. Or you sit on your deck in the early morning—take advantage of that extra sunlight—to start a novella. Perhaps you’re able to sleep in now so you stay up later at night to plug 100 new words on your newest WIP. Whatever it is, keep writing this summer!
 
So, how do you find ways to slip in writing during these wonderful summer months? I’d love to hear!

Susan L. Tuttle lives in Michigan where she’s happily married to her best friend and is a homeschooling mom of three. She’s firmly convinced that letters were meant for words, not math, and loves stringing them together into stories that inspire, encourage, and grow women into who God created them to be. Romance, laughter, and cookies are three of her favorite things, though not always in that order. You can connect with Susan at her blog, Steps, Facebook, or Twitter.

13 comments:

  1. I get up at 5:40 every morning and write (please don't hate me). It's cooler then, the house is quiet and my mind is still fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hate, but can I envy?;) My brain doesn't work before 6am. Lol

      Delete
  2. Summer isn't generally a problem for me. It's spring and the call of the garden. Willpower and a full schedule keeps me seated at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep. Willpower and a full schedule KEEP me seated at my desk.

      MORE COFFEE!!!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha!!! Oh I hear you!! I'm not a big gardener--but I grew up with one! No way she'd stay inside!

      Delete
  3. This is a challenge, for sure. I love the lazy days of summer, but I don't like what they do to my writing schedule. But the truth is, I write during the interruptions most of the year anyway. So I just have to be extra diligent during the summer months to enforce some sort of schedule: getting up earlier works or writing while my daughter is at volleyball camp in the morning or afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there's always distractions. But the warmth and summer sun is so difficult for me! I do love that the mornings are brighter, makes it easier to rise:)

      Delete
  4. Late at night works better for me. I just need someone to hide the TV remote! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes!! That TV remote! It gets me too:)

      Delete
  5. Susan, I'm right there with you. From the minute the weather turns nice I want outside. The flowers call me in the spring and demand my attention for months. I love lilies and have to check my garden for new blooms daily.

    Vacation pulls me away as well as weekend plans of local places to visit.

    And of course my puppies want their share of attention!

    Unlike Angie, who I still love even if she gets up at 5:40 (😃), I'm totally not a morning person. I have to make reserve time to write. Evenings or late at night are my best times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a morning person--as long as it's after 6, quiet, and full of coffee. Lol :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so NOT a morning person, but it is easier for me to get up earlier in the summer when the sun is shining as opposed to winter when it's dark and raining (Seattle). So my goal is to do just that this summer. If I can manage to get up between 6:00 and 6:30 am, that will be an accomplishment.

    However, that doesn't mean I'll start writing at that time. My brain doesn't function that early. But I can get other things out of the way so I can write once the coffee kicks in. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I'm the same way. It's easier to start with chores that'll then free up time later in my day.

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!