Thursday, January 8, 2015

Ready – Get Set – Focus! By Terri Weldon

Terri Weldon
Happy New Year! Even though it is only January 8th, I’m sure you’ve read a dozen or more blogs about the New Year. Ways you can make sure you accomplish more in 2015 then you did in 2014. Hmm, almost makes me wonder if I should switch topics, but I won’t because I need this post even if you don’t.

One way I’m going to endeavor to achieve more in 2015 is by focusing. There are several areas of my life, both personal and professional, that need focus. I won’t bore you with the personal areas and if you’re bored by the professional – well, just pretend you aren’t.

I tend to allow myself to be pulled in too many different directions. Yeah, it would be easy to blame something or someone else, but the real crux of the matter is I allow it to happen. I have friends who are as busy or busier than I am and they seem to accomplish twice what I do. They stay focused, I don’t. True confession, sometimes I just want to hide from my writer accountability group. Oh, I can’t believe I said that, because one or more of them will probably read this!

Part of my plan to stay focused is to pick out the things that are the most important to me. No they won’t all be writing related, nor should they be. We need to keep a balance in our life and make sure God is always in the number one position. Also, remember there are some things you can’t control. You have no control over whether or not an editor will recommend your work for publication or an agent will sign you as a client. However, you can decide to write every day or five thousand words a week, attend a conference, and submit a proposal to an agent. And even though I know I’ve read this countless times before on Seriously Write, it bears repeating, pray about your writing. God is in this journey along with us.

In case you’re wondering, I just outlined what I plan to focus on in 2015. Somehow while it was floating around in my mind, it didn’t seem so overwhelming. Seeing it written down in black and white, well, all I can say is it’s time to FOCUS!

Leave a comment and tell me what your plans are for 2015. I’d love to hear them and welcome any and all tips on how to stay focused. Happy New Year!

****
Purchase Link
Misty Winslow is determined to find her prince, and she meets the man of her dreams through an Internet dating service. Or is he, because the new dentist in town also sets her heart aflutter.

It's love at first sight for Tyler Davenport, but before he can finish his first root canal, Misty is involved in an exclusive online romance with Wes99—Tyler’s online persona. How can he tell her he’s the man she’s been waiting to meet, and how rational is it for him to be jealous of Wes99! Soon Tyler's pulling out all the stops to woo Misty.

As Christmas approaches, Wes99 and Tyler both ask her to meet them under the mistletoe. Which man will she choose?

Terri is a lead analyst by day and an author by night. She enjoys gardening, reading, and playing in the hand bell choir. One of her favorite pastimes is volunteering as the librarian at her church. It allows her to shop for books and spend someone else’s money! Plus, she has the great joy of introducing people to Christian fiction.

She lives with her family in Oklahoma. Terri has three dogs – a lovable mutt and two adorable Westies.

Terri is a member of ACFW and OCFW, a local chapter of ACFW. Her dream of becoming a published novelist came true in November 2013 when Mistletoe Magic, released from White Rose Publishing. To learn more about Terri visit her website at www.TerriWeldon.com.

19 comments:

  1. Terri, I SO needed to hear this. And you know, this busyness of mine is just a procrastination mechanism, so it needs to STOP.

    Okay, I've gotten that off my chest. ;) My goals for 2015? My word is Overcoming, so I'm going to try to overcome all those things that have been in the way of finishing my book. It's time. No excuses.

    Thanks, dear friend, for writing what my heart needed to hear. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Angie, I'm so happy this is able to help someone besides me. I love your word for 2015! I believe God wants us to become overcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Angie. Procrastination is with me day and night. I avoid doing what I hate, and calling AT&T is on my list today, and I haven't done it yet. I dread dealing with them. I'm bogged down in a book due in April. Since I don't care for the direction my story is taking, I'm neglecting it. Focus. Good word. Now which should I do first? Exercise or phone AT&T?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Gay, on the plus side you aren't procrastinating on the writing.

      Give Att&t a call - get that finished. Then you will feel invigorated and ready to exercise.

      BTW - I'm the worlds word procrastinator!

      Delete
  4. Terri, I'm right there with you. Especially after taking time off during the holidays, it's very difficult to get back to my writing routine. And unlike you, this is my real job, so I have no excuses. My goals for this year? Finish the book I'm writing now and write another before September. Self-publish two books (which are already written), and continue to build my freelance editing business. Phew. Writing it down is a little terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - I'm so excited to see you diving into indie waters. Your books are amazing.

      Writing your goals down is scary! I felt like it made mine seem huge. But I have every confidence in your ability to achieve your goals.

      Delete
  5. Such a timely post, Terri! Thank you for this encouragement. I'm glad I'm not the only one and that we can cheer each other on. What helps me is making a to-do list and prioritizing. As far as beating back procrastination, that just takes a boost of courage to try. We learn by doing, right? Let's get to work. :) (Now I have to go focus. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Terri! It looks like I wasn't the only one who needed to hear this today! I always have great intentions, then I get distracted by a number of things. FOCUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn - you guys are really encouraginge. Now I don't feel so alone. Maybe this will be the year we all focus and overcome!

      Delete
  7. Terri, you sound so much like me. I always claim I have adult ADD. It is SO hard not to get distracted. When I keep lists, I perform better, and that is my goal this year. Checklists. Some projects: I have got to winnow out drawers and closets and get back to Ancestry.com. I have decided to step back from writing this year, take a deep breath, and try to figure it all out. (Yes, I have consulted the Lord but so far, He's been silent LOL. Oh, patience, patience!) Thanks for the great post and God's love and blessings to you in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya! And I wish you every success in your endeavors. Since both you and Annette mentioned making a list, I'm definitely going to have to try that out.

      Wouldn't it be nice if God would meet us for lunch and tell us exactly what to do? Makes me think of Rene Gutteridge's book Never The Bride.

      Delete
  8. Annette - it always helps to know others have the same problems. You guys are encouraging me and making me feel optimistic about getting this done! The list is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Terri, and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging a weakness. That's the first step in overcoming, right? I admire you for writing while holding down ANOTHER full time job. My problem isn't focus. It's....wait for it, wait for it...MARKETING. But this year I am determined to come up with a plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acknowledging the problem. I like that - thanks. Now hopefully I can move forward and conquer it.

      Oh, marketing is tough! I'm rooting for you, I know you can do it.

      Delete
  10. Hi Terri! Great post. I always make too many New Year's resolutions. This year I made fewer and am praying God will guide and direct me in accomplishing these goals. And help me stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loves To Read - you hit the nail on the head. We can't do this on our own, we need the Lord's help. Thanks for that reminder. I need to pray about my writing daily.

      Delete
  11. Terri, nice post and I think you're onto something about focusing better in the new year. It's something I need to work on too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can't imagine you needing help focusing. I'm always amazed at how much you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!