Monday, October 20, 2014

The Writing Marathon...Got What it Takes??

Marianne Evans
My son just ran and completed his first marathon! I’m such a proud mama. Like his father before him, he trained, he became educated on the sport and its processes, and he committed himself to a regimen that leaves me in awe. What a kiddo!

His accomplishment, coupled with the upcoming kick-off of NaNoWriMo, made me think about marathoning in terms of my own writer life.

 

In the past year and a half, I have written a four-book series of novellas, two short contemporary romances, and a women’s fiction novel. Whew. The process was…and has been…daunting at times. It’s a marathon. Unwilling to sacrifice quality, I continually train myself in the craft and strive to become educated so the manuscripts I turn in are the best they can be and as polished as possible. After all, publication is a marathon exercise for editors as well.


Producing multiple books, on a deadline, takes knowledge of the entire publication process. It takes commitment. Backside in the chair, fingers to keyboard, head and heart buried deep within the pages of my WIP. There are days, sure, when the last thing I feel like doing is booting up the computer and crafting the next scene, the next chapter, the next conflict. In marathon terms, that’s called ‘hitting the wall.’

That’s when an amazing transformation occurs—I find if I power through and stick with it, I will find myself engulfed by the story God is giving me to tell. Easy? No. Frustrating? At times, you bet. Rewarding? To the highest power.


Finally, there’s commitment to the regimen. I can't allow myself to just dream of writing. I have to sit down and do it. I can’t let myself be afraid of the learning curves and the hard work; both are on-going processes as I write. That’s when I force myself to remember a wise bit of advice I paraphrase from the one-and-only Nora Roberts: “The only thing you can’t edit is a blank page.”


What’s your battle? What ‘wall’ do you hit as a writer? Let’s compare notes. I’m praying for you, friends, and cheering you on. In the end, I hope you take on the challenges before you and discover the surprising truth that the ‘marathon’ is well worth the effort.

Click to Tweet!!

"The only thing you can't edit is a blank page."

 ~~~~~


Marianne’s new series, Sisters in Spirit, is her latest release from Pelican Book Group and is the prelude to Pure Amore – a new line of subscription-only contemporary romances featuring a powerful message to Christian New Adults regarding chastity and purity. Marianne is honored to be one of the six launch authors for this new and exciting line.

You can find Sisters in Spirit right here: Sisters in Spirit at Pelican Book Group and here’s more information about Pure Amore: http://pure.pelicanbookgroup.com/


Happy reading!
~~~~~


Marianne Evans is a multi-award-winning author of Christian romance and fiction. Her hope is to spread the faith-affirming message of God’s love through the stories He prompts her to create. Devotion, earned the Bookseller’s Best Award as well as the Heart of Excellence Award. She also earned wins for Best Romance of 2012 from the Christian Small Publisher's Association and the Selah award for best Novella of 2013. Happily married and the mother of two, Marianne is a lifelong resident of Michigan who is active in a number of a number of Romance Writers of America chapters, most notably the Greater Detroit Chapter where she served two terms as President. Connect with her at www.marianneevans.com.

15 comments:

  1. Commitment not just dream. Love it! Too often it is easy to just dream and not buckle down and get to work. Thanks for the reminder. Congratulations on accomplishing so much in the last year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Terri! Thanks so much for dropping by, and for your encouragement. I appreciate it! I've often had to pull myself out of the 'dream' stage and push through to the work involved in capturing that dream!

      Delete
  2. I'm thrilled to report my son closed out his first ever marathon in just over three hours -- bursting with pride at his accomplishment! It was so cool to cheer him on at the end, just as he has always cheered me on in my writing journey! #HappyMama! :-) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne,
    Thanks for sharing this post. There are times when we don't feel like sitting down and writing. There are a million other things we could be doing, but the commitment to get it done kicks in and we push forward. It's not always easy, but it is worth it in the end.
    Blessings,
    Deborah H. Bateman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Deborah - I can sooo relate. I often joke, "Gee, I could write, but look at the dust bunnies on the carpet and the floor that need to be taken care of...check out those dishes in the sink - not exactly stunning decor..." LOL! Powering through is the only answer, and you're right - it's so worth it!! xo <3

      Delete
  4. Marianne, you crank 'em out so fast, I am coining a new term just for you. Marasprinter: a sprinter who gives it her all for an extended period of time. Loved your post today. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dora, you're such an encouraging soul - and I treasure you! Let me assure you, there are days when my 'sprint' feels more like a desperate 'crawl'! LOL! Blessings!!

      Delete
  5. I so admire you for such quick yet quality production. Best wishes always, friend. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya, my sista - thank you. :-) <3 You know there are days I've felt utterly lost - but I trust God to see it through and bring me where He needs. You're a blessing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post! It also serves to remind me that I often construct my walls. I have time set aside both before and after work (I teach all day, plus 2 after school jobs). I do really well sticking with my schedule...although sometimes I'm so tired that I seem to write jibberish. I need to hand it over to God and let him remove the walls. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, LeAnne! I'm so glad you stopped by and happier still that you found encouragement in the experiences I shared on 'Marathoning.' :-) God bless you and your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marianne,
    You and the Hearts haven gals inspire me to keep writing. This is a great post for me as i see myself putting up walls. It is hard to let others read what i write so it is easy to build those walls. GODs got this and i will press on. ( still in training almost ready to run)
    Thanks for inspiring me and making me think! Love and Hugs and keep running/writing cause i love reading what He gives you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renette, I'm so happy you stopped by and offered such wonderful support and encouragement! Thank you!!! Can't wait to see you in Florida in a few days!! Yay!!

      Delete
  10. Wow, Marianne! I so needed this just now. I'm "hitting the wall" and it's not even October 31st!

    Thanks so much for the reminders and instructions. I'll look for you on the NaNoWriMo boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Angie, thank YOU! It's so easy to feel like we're living in a solitary bubble (especially when we're neck-deep in a story!) but we're not, and I'm so glad you were encouraged. I need the reminders myself!! :-) God bless, and hugs!

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!