Monday, August 18, 2014

The Endurance Challenge!

Marianne Evans
A couple months back, I told you about my passion for travel, and the ways in which setting becomes a character within the arc of my stories.

Well, I’m blessed to say my husband and I finally pulled the trigger on the trip of a lifetime. We’re headed to Italy next month…for real, and not just in my heart! To prepare, and since I’ve been warned by my well-traveled daughter that the terrain in Bella Italia is quite hilly, I've taken on a fitness quest I jokingly refer to as ‘The Italy Endurance Challenge.’ 


Actually, it’s not so much of a joke anymore. Establishing a new and intensive exercise regimen has led to benefits far beyond the physical (though I better get a kudo or two from my doctor! LOL!)  Pounding the pavement, tooling around town on my bike, wakes me up creatively. It frees me and gives my heart and brain a wonderful push. 




I've enjoyed losing myself in moments of beauty; I absorb the world around me with a fresh and enlivened perspective. If I engage in a setting, live it and breathe it, maybe I can convey that to my readers as well. I’ve hiked gorgeous north-Michigan roads, pedaled along neighborhood streets bursting with summertime color and the spicy aroma of flowers and fresh-cut grass, and I definitely feel stronger.

So, let me tell you—those 463 steps to the top of the Duomo in Florence are not going to stand in the way of me savoring a view like this…



How are you working to keep that all-important balance between the mental and the physical? What challenge, physical or otherwise, are you looking to take on and dominate? Let me know so I can offer up a prayer of provision, and all my best wishes for your goals and dreams! Whatever your challenge, take that first step, and enjoy every move forward!

Click to Tweet!

What challenge are you looking to conquer?
Take on the Italy Endurance challenge!

~~~~~


Marianne’s new series, Sisters in Spirit, releases in September from Pelican Book Group and is the prelude to Pure Amore – a line of Christian New Adult romances coming in October. Marianne is honored to be one of the six launch authors for this new and exciting venture.

Check out the Sisters in Spirit official website: http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/sis/
For more information about Pure Amore: http://pure.pelicanbookgroup.com/


Happy reading!



~~~~~

Marianne Evans is a multi-award-winning author of over twenty Christian romance and fiction novels. Her hope is to spread the faith-affirming message of God’s love through the stories He prompts her to create. Readers laud her work as: ‘Riveting.’ ‘Realistic and true to heart.’ ‘Compelling.’ Devotion, earned the prestigious Bookseller’s Best Award from Greater Detroit RWA as well the Heart of Excellence Award from Ancient City Romance Authors. She also earned wins for Best Romance of 2012 from the Christian Small Publisher's Association and the Selah award for best Novella of 2013. Happily married and the mother of two, Marianne is a lifelong resident of Michigan who is active in a number of a number of Romance Writers of America chapters, most notably the Greater Detroit Chapter where she served two terms as President.

Connect with Marianne:

Amazon Author Page:  www.amazon.com/author/marianneevans

27 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I'm so excited for you and hubby, Marianne! You will have a BLAST! As much as I can, I enjoy allowing my golden retriever to drag me around the park. It's beautiful, we both get exercise, and my mind comes away invigorated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm literally counting the days, Dora - it's been a dream of ours for ages - and just today (oh, the irony!) I saw my doctor for a routine check up, and he was very pleased! LOL! He did tease me about being in the food capital of the universe and making sure I work off any pasta I eat. I told him, flat-out, I don't think that'll be a problem! LOL!!!

      Delete
    2. Um. I have a feeling the pasta won't have a chance to take up residence as you climb those 463 steps to the top of the Duomo. lol.

      I am so excited for you and can't wait to see how the scenery plays into your work. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Me, too, Karls! Might end up as a Passport to Romance story for PBG!!! xo <3 thanks so much for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Pegg! We've been dreaming, and saving, and saving, and saving...LOL....for so long. Hard to believe we'll be leaving soon! So glad you stopped by!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Italy sounds marvelous! Have a fantastic trip.

    I sit too much, but I try to go out every evening and walk through the garden and do a little work. Also, I have two Westies that want more than their fair share of attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Terri!! Yeah, the sedentary lifestyle of both my 9 to 5 job and my writing life have prompted me to be proactive about building muscle. Some days are better than others in that regard!! Those dog walks you describe are FABULOUS - good for you!!! Thanks for the well wishes, and thanks for dropping by!! xo

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous...and SO happy for you and Steve! You deserve this trip, Can't wait to see the delightful literary treasures that will come out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Delia, thanks sweet lady!! xo!!! I still can't quite believe it....I'll try not to bore everyone silly on line with my travelogues! LOL!! Hugs, and so glad you stopped by!!

      Delete
  5. Marianne: I'm so happy for you. My husband and I LOVED Italy, especially since I was able to go to Santa Giustina and find my family history. BUT... Florence was my favorite by far. I'll have to tell you the story of how we "accidentally" got in the line to walk those 400+ steps. We thought we were doing something else first... Hilarious when you consider you can't turn around, it's crowded, there really aren't signs, and so on. I have so many stories of Italy and get all giddy just thinking about it. Just make sure you have the right shoes. That is all. The right shoes. Have a blessed trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Carla, I hope I can do it! I'm somewhat clostraphobic, but understand it isn't TOO bad until you get to the very top, where it's tight and narrow...I become giddy even CONSIDERING the fact that I'll be standing amid such history and beauty. Truly a writer's paradise. Coffee and a journal at an outdoor cafe is DEFINITELY in order!!! We'll compare notes for sure! Thanks for the visit!!! xo

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the new series. I'm excited for you and your trip. My daughter still talks about the Italian experience, and it's been years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, LoRee!! Italy seems to be one of those 'lifetime' places that transforms people. Can't wait! So glad you paid a visit!!! <3

      Delete
  7. Great post, Marianne. I recently challenged myself in a similar way before a trip. Very motivating because we have something to look forward to. Thanks for sharing encouragement that can apply to any situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Annette - endurance (and building endurance) applies to so many things in life. I looked at it this way: Once in a lifetime trip, and I'm not missing a thing! LOL!! <3 Thanks for the support and encouragement YOU provide!!!

      Delete
    2. My pleasure! You're going to have such a great time!

      Delete
  8. What a thrill, Marianne! We'll be pulling for you. Go, Marianne, go! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Cheerleader Angie!! I love it! :-D THANK YOU! I've already decided, after that challenge is won, I will have more than earned a fabulous pasta dinner, right?? <3

      Delete
  9. You will love Ghiberti's golden doors! And I already know how inspired you will be to create more wonderful stories. Have a blessed safe, and bountiful trip, Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooooh, Tanya --- I must explore the golden doors!!! Thanks for that, and thanks for the travel blessings. They're deeply appreciated! Love you, and thanks so much for chiming in!!! xo <3

      Delete
  10. Marianne please don't hold back on the travel log and photos! we will live through you! Italy was a fabulous place i loved every minute there!
    Be sure you have a couple really good pairs of shoes, changing your shoes is like taking a 5minute nap and can be very refreshing.
    I need to get more active physically again it sure helps with ones out look. i also read to renew myself and i know this great author who writes wonderful pure romance. GODs blessing on you my dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renette, you're such a sweetheart!!! THANK YOU! I look forward to drinking in each moment, and I appreciate your loving support more than you know!! So glad you stopped by!! Love the shoe advice. VERY true from what I understand! <3

      Delete
  11. Maybe I'll have to pretend I'm going to Italy so I can lose those pounds that keep following me around! Nah! I'd just eat more spaghetti.

    Enjoy yourself, Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Sandra! Oh, those pesky pounds....they never, ever leave me alone, sadly!! Thank you SO much for the well-wishes and encouragement!! You're awesome! <3

      Delete
  12. Awesome post, Marianne! (no surprise there!) I'm so thrilled you and Steve will have this amazing opportunity to make some dreams come true in Italy! Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures...wishing I could travel along and show you all the places that captivated Kurt and I while we were there! Praying for great success with your Endurance Challenge! As for my challenge...I'd appreciate prayers as I return to serious writing. Losing over six years of heart-soul-spirit journal writing and the first four chapters of my story to that dreaded CryptoLocker hijacker really hit me hard. It has been difficult to rebound from that, to even know where to begin again. Nonetheless, I have expended way too much time grieving all that was lost...it's time to move ahead! Thank you for your continual inspiration, your prayers for clarity, focus and memory recall, and your constant encouragement. You are a beautiful blessing, Sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, you bless my life, and my ministry, in ways that are immeasurable, and precious. I'm so grateful for you!!! REBOUND. Grab that writing angel by the hand and commit your testimony to paper. It's your legacy!! xo <3 God bless you always sweet friend and Sister!

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!