Monday, July 21, 2014

The End...Or Is It?

Marianne Evans
The End, I’ve discovered, can actually mean The Beginning.

Naturally, the best thing about being a writer is the day you get “the call,” or “the e-mail,” informing of a sale about which you’ve most likely dreamed of for years. And, yeah, royalty payments are pretty neat, too.

I want to leave that behind for now, though, and focus not on the business of writing, but on the heart and soul, the call that pushes me to wordsmith, to plot and create.

Years ago I wrote The End on a book titled With This Kiss. I sent it off, and was blessed by a contract. But that’s the exact moment when The End turned into The Beginning. I’m not talking about the process of signing the contract, filling out manuscript information sheets, cover art suggestions. I’m talking about the way that episode of publishing introduced me to a means by which I could write, and publish, in a genre that had knocked on the door of my writer’s soul for many years. Christian romance.

I discovered a wonderful publisher and wanted to submit to them, but in order to get to The Beginning, I had to confront the demon of doubt.  And, isn’t it true that the toughest part of The Beginning is taking that first trembling step forward?

My doubts? For starters, what business did I have writing Christ-centered stories? I’m a sinner. I’m broken. I’m nobody’s theologian. For sure, folks would see me as a fraud, right? Next? What story ideas did I have that would be worthy of publication? If this call came from God, I certainly didn’t want to let Him down.

Well, God aligned the details; all I had to do—no small feat—was follow His call. I entered a contest. I was fortunate enough to win. From there, I’ve never looked back through over twenty five ‘The Ends.’

When I discuss this career shift with friends and colleagues, I’ve often said The End and The Beginning both lead to happily ever after. What challenges you? What dream do you feel bursting in your spirit, yet perhaps haven’t pursued yet? How can you take steps to move forward, and take the leap of Faith?




~~~~~

Marianne Evans is a multi-award-winning author of Christian romance and fiction. Her hope is to spread the faith-affirming message of God’s love through the stories He prompts her to create. Readers laud her work as: ‘Riveting.’ ‘Realistic and true to heart.’ ‘Compelling.’ Devotion earned the prestigious Bookseller’s Best Award from Greater Detroit RWA as well the Heart of Excellence Award from Ancient City Romance Authors. She also earned wins for best romance of 2012 from the Christian Small Publisher's Association and the Selah award from Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Fiction Writers for best novella of 2013. Happily married and the mother of two, Marianne is a lifelong resident of Michigan who is active in a number of a number of Romance Writers of America chapters, most notably the Greater Detroit Chapter where she served two terms as President.


~~~~~




Aileen's Song


Aileen, Siobhan, Kassidy and Maeve—long ago they made a purity pledge to God and a friendship vow to one another. Now this quartet is about to embark on the journey of a lifetime…

All her life, Aileen Brewer has dreamed of singing on stage and winning the heart of Liam Douglas. When she sings, she exudes confidence and charm. Away from the spotlight, she’s the shy, curvaceous woman who has always tried to maintain a sweet, Godly spirit despite her radical upbringing and a sense that she’s not quite good enough.

During a music festival at Holy Spirit Catholic Church, Aileen takes the stage with her three best friends and Sisters in Spirit is born. Liam, a Christian record producer, is captivated by the wallflower of his youth who has blossomed into a magnetic performer.

He champions a record deal and a quest for Aileen’s heart, but can she find confidence enough to take command of the group—and accept Liam’s love? Can Liam help her see the beauty of the woman she has become?

Dreams just might come true in ways only God could orchestrate…

Visit the Sisters in Spirit website at: www.pelicanbookgroup.com/sis