Thursday, July 3, 2014

Independence Day by Susan Tuttle

Image Courtesy of Nixx Photography
FreeDigitalPhotos.Net
So tomorrow is the Fourth of July, Independence Day. Our little town throws a giant picnic with so many fun things for the kids: rock climbing, bungie trampolines, petting zoos, and tons of hotdogs…then at night we do fireworks in the park. And there’s old cars and bike parades, dunk tanks and pie eating contests. I LOVE my town and it’s small feel.

And I love that, here in America, we have the freedom to walk down our street as a Christian. I love that my family can pray in public and worship openly. We don’t have to hide our church attendance, and we have an abundance of Christian radio stations that stream worship music at all times of the day and night. These are huge things to be thankful for, because while this is Independence Day, as a Christian we live our lives dependent on God. I never want to take for granted that we can do so without having to look over our shoulder.

So today I’m praying as you eat your hotdogs and watch the colors explode in the sky this weekend that you take a moment to be thankful for all the amazing freedoms we still have in this country. They are truly worth celebrating.

Happy Fourth of July!

Dora here. We used to live in a small town that celebrated Independence Day in a big way, from early morning parades to afternoon festivals and fireworks at nightfall. Like Susan, I loved all the happenings around town and how the entire community came together to celebrate. Unfortunately, not everybody is able to take the day off. So here's a warm cyberhug of thanks to our fire, police and military personnel who keep us safe and protect our liberties. We appreciate you!!

This year, we're vacationing with both our sons and their families/friends over the Fourth. This may shock some of you, but I'm leaving my laptop and flash drive behind and allowing myself the simple freedom to not write. Actually, to not even think about writing. I plan to savor this rare occasion when my two grown sons will be in the same place, to build sandcastles and ride the waves with my grandchildren, to create precious memories, and to refill and nourish my creative well. Wishing you all a Son-kissed Independence Day! 

How do you celebrate Independence Day? 
Will you squeeze in any writing?

****

Susan Tuttle
Susan Tuttle is a homeschooling mom of three who is crazy about coffee, dark chocolate, and words—both reading and writing them. Combine that love of words with her passion for leading women to a life-changing encounter with Christ, and you’ll find her crafting Inspirational Contemporary Romance stories laced with humor, love, and healing transformations. When not cheering on her Ironman hubby, chasing the family dog, or tackling complex math problems to teach her kids (yes, even the third grader), you can catch Susan at her blog, Steps.