Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Look Back at the Past by Terri Weldon

Terri Weldon
Every writer I know has at least one manuscript buried deep in the closet, including me. I hope you'll take a moment over the next few days to tug it out, dust it off and skim through the pages with fresh eyes. Like Terri, you might be surprised to realize how much you've grown as a writer. Enjoy "A Look Back at the Past" by Terri Weldon~Dora

About a month ago, I dusted off the first book I ever wrote. The storyline is one I’ve always loved and is dear to my heart. So I pulled the manuscript out of the bottom drawer it’s called home for more years then I like to admit and started reading. Let me tell you, times have changed. I discovered the book is out of date – way out of date.

When I penned that manuscript, which shall remain nameless, I didn’t know squat about the craft of writing. I read voraciously and decided I wanted to write a book. I had a fun idea. So, I sat down and typed that puppy. Words flowed fast. I still remember the number of pages I could whip out in a day. No plotting, just the sheer joy of writing.

Until I revisited that book in June, I’d forgotten how bad it was! Point of view (POV)? I didn’t have a clue. I changed POV numerous times on a single page – hero, his friend, heroine, and her friend. Hmm, could that be one of the reasons I received a swift rejection on that manuscript?

The heroine is sassy and fun and she intends to accomplish her goal, no matter what. The hero has been burned by love in the past and there is no way he’s going down that road again. I still love the story, but can it be saved? I don’t know.

Looking at that book made me think of Philippians 3:13 (TLB) – No, dear brothers, I am still not all I should be, but I am bringing all my energies to bear on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.

As a writer I can revamp my manuscript, clean up the imperfections, and give it a new life. As a Christian, I have a heavenly Father who is willing to take me in my imperfect state and through the blood of Jesus wipe the past clean and give me eternal life. I can forget all about my past mistakes and focus on the future. Such an amazing blessing – the greatest blessing of all!

So how about you – have you grown as a writer since you wrote your first book? Leave a comment and let me know if you’ve revisited your first manuscript. Or if you’re one of those phenomenal writers who sold their first book just the way they penned it? You can be honest, I’ll still like you. LOL!


****
Purchase Link
Misty Winslow is determined to find her prince, and she meets the man of her dreams through an Internet dating service. Or is he, because the new dentist in town also sets her heart aflutter.

It's love at first sight for Tyler Davenport, but before he can finish his first root canal, Misty is involved in an exclusive online romance with Wes99—Tyler’s online persona. How can he tell her he’s the man she’s been waiting to meet, and how rational is it for him to be jealous of Wes99! Soon Tyler's pulling out all the stops to woo Misty.

As Christmas approaches, Wes99 and Tyler both ask her to meet them under the mistletoe. Which man will she choose?


Terri is a lead analyst by day and an author by night. She enjoys gardening, reading, and playing in the hand bell choir. One of her favorite pastimes is volunteering as the librarian at her church. It allows her to shop for books and spend someone else’s money! Plus, she has the great joy of introducing people to Christian fiction.

She lives with her family in Oklahoma. Terri has three dogs – a lovable mutt and two adorable Westies.

Terri is a member of ACFW and OCFW, a local chapter of ACFW. Her dream of becoming a published novelist came true in November 2013 when Mistletoe Magic, released from White Rose Publishing. To learn more about Terri visit her website at www.TerriWeldon.com.