Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Carrying the Writing Load by Gail Gaymer Martin

Gail Gaymer Martin
Sometimes life gets in the way of a good thing. When I wrote my first novel, being published was the only thing that weighed on my mind. I wanted to write the best book I could so I studied the craft, experienced rejections from editors and agents, and waited for the day when the telephone would ring offering the first sale. I was thrilled to hold that first book in my hand. But as my career unfolded and the expectations of publishers, agents, and even my own expectations grew, the once joyful experience now placed a heavy load on me. Being a writer isn’t all there is anymore. Now writers must also be promoters and marketers.

Would I give it up? Not for a moment. But I’ve learned that a writing career cuts into a novelist’s life and time. Social media and emails dig into our writing hours and it’s far more difficult to write four and five books a year than when we first began. Now it means blog posts, responding to readers and Facebook friends, keeping active on GoodReads and Twitter, and keeping our website active with new material. It can become overwhelming for us at times, and often what we need beside prayer and a good night’s sleep is someone to listen and understand, to encourage us and remind us that with talent comes responsibility and work. Everyone needs support and understanding, someone to share our frustrations and to pray for us.

Paula, the heroine in my latest novel, Rescued By The Firefighter, needed someone to care and to listen, but she also needed to admit her frailty and her problems. Sometimes we don’t want to let others know we doubt our writing, we fear the rejections, we’re tired of missing all the fun we once had because now we’re behind on our email, blogs and deadline novel. Paula, as you and I, needed someone to understand and to trust that she would still be loved even though she wasn’t Superwoman and perfect. We must face that too. We need help and support, and thank the Lord, we can find writing groups and organizations that teach and support us as well as offer fellowship and prayer. As Paula finally learned, don’t let what you love weigh you down because of fear of failure or shame. Lift it up with the help of those you can turn to for support. And don’t forget the Lord is always there waiting to carry your burdens for you.

Click To Tweet
Sometimes life gets in the way of a good thing. 
Everyone needs support: to share our frustrations & pray for us.
The writing life can become overwhelming at times. 
The Lord is always there waiting to carry your burdens.

About the Author
Award-winning novelist, Gail Gaymer Martin is the author of contemporary romance, romantic suspense, and women’s fiction with 52 novels published and nearly 4 million books in print. Her novels have received many national awards, including: the ACFW Carol Award and RT Reviewer’s Choice Award. Gail is the author of Writer Digest’s Writing The Christian Romance. CBS local news listed Gail as one of the four best writers in the Detroit area. She is a cofounder of American Christian Fiction Writers and serves on their Executive Board. She is also a member of Advanced Speakers and Writers and the Christian Authors Network. Gail is a keynote speaker at churches, civic and business organizations and a workshop presenter at conferences across the U.S. She lives in Michigan with her husband Bob.
Rescued by the Firefighter
by Gail Gaymer Martin

A Fresh Start
Paula Reynolds is looking for a new job, a new home, a new everything—except for love. Determined not to repeat old mistakes, she's staying away from romance. She never counted on falling for handsome firefighter Clint Donatelli. Clint is used to saving lives, but with the beautiful Paula, he faces a challenge. Getting to know her is a daunting task, especially since he's just as wary of relationships. When he learns a stunning secret from her past, he must choose—to live the way he's always lived, or trust in a new love.

Romantic Times Review - 4 stars Paula's determination to change and her emotional growth are realistic. Readers will clearly see the characters' vulnerabilities. The pace is steady pace and the conclusion satisfying in the final Sisters story

Website: www.gailgaymermartin.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gail.g.martin.3
Twitter: http://twitter.com/GailGMartin
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gailgaymermartin
GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/83354.Gail_Gaymer_Martin

14 comments:

  1. I enjoy hearing from Gail about her journey through publication; she's certainly made it! I think it's easy to look at someone who is well known in this industry and think they can slow down, but like she stated it seems harder today with all the social media outlets and people who email and FB friends to connect with. I appreciate her honesty and sweet spirit of sharing. :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, Thanks so much for your kind words and also for reading Seriously Write which offers great advice from numerous authors. You are correct. It's harder now than before. Having books contracted is slower and less certain with all the changes in publishing. Yet we remember, the talent came from the Lord and His love helps us move forward one step at a time. The Bible, says, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

      Delete
    2. That verse is one that I cling to as I write. It's really up to Him whether we get published. All we have to do is write.

      And thank you so much for the endorsement! :)

      Delete
  2. Just what I needed to read this morning. Thank-you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a blessings the way the Lord provides what we need when we need it and in the most unlikely ways. Thanks for letting me know. I do love writing these posts for Seriously Write.

      Delete
  3. You're not alone! Balancing writing and family time seems to be a hot topic lately. Thanks for sharing your struggles, Gail. Your new book sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, thanks so much. I loved writing the book and it's getting some very nice comments and hopefully more reviews since people are just discovering it now. Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Gail, this terrific post socked me right between the eyes. Sometimes I don't know if the struggle is worth it...it's not like I'm working on a cancer cure or anything. These days I'm calling out more and more for His guidance. Which I know He'll give when HIS timing is right LOL.

    That said, 52 novels! Yowzers. I am in awe and totally need Rescued by the Firefighter...since I'm married to one and he rescues me every day LOL. Thanks for a wonderful read, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the story plot, Tanya. Clint rescues Paula in more than one way. i hope you enjoy the story, and do know that you are not alone with those feelings. Sometimes even with all the sales, I'm frustrated. Everyone would like to hit the NY Timeds Best Seller list and any best seller list. My books have sold well -- I'm very close to 4 million books in print but I really want to write more of the kids of books I love - the longer romances with more complex plots where I have time to really develop characters. I hope you look for my Indie book Treasures of the Heart. It's one I've had written for years and never sold -- but one that I loved. I've reworked it up to my standard of writing now, deleted some scenes and added new ones, but its still the same story with great characters. I cried while I wrote it which I so often do. Silly me. Many blessings, Tanya.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Gail. You've tapped into what all of us feel at one time or another. The one thing I'm hearing more and more lately is to put the emphasis on the writing, which is what I'm trying to do. There are so many social media sites I'd like to pay more attention to, but there are a finite number of hours in a day, and I do like my sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, That is a good philosophy. I try to do a few things on the social media each day. Something fun like my Today's Word - and my tweets go to FB so that helps and they also go to LinkedIn, I think. Right now I'm involved in promoting two books - the one mentioned here and the Barbour antholog called The British Brides Collection. That takes time because no one wants a book jammed down their throats so you have to find interesting ways to let people know about your book. Everything takes time -- and then we have a life. I'm very active in music - and that is a time burner too. But I love singing and I also love wrting and best of all, I love hearing from people like you who makes it all worthwhile. Blessings.

      Delete
  6. Terri left a comment and I mistakenly hit "Delete" instead of "Publish." Sorry Terri!

    Here's what she said:

    Gail, balancing everything is so tough. For me, social media can be too interesting and consume too many hours. I need to keep my head down and write.

    I love what you said about that first contract. I think we all feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri - You are so right (I just typed so write. (which actually makes sense). My husband always said I was wasting time on Social Media and he refused to get on FB while I was learning all kinds of stuff and seeing family photos. Finally our son needed votes for his band to participate in a big event so he had joined and voted. Now guess what. He spends half the day on Facebookk (far more than I do) amd guess who's laughing now. I'm glad he's retired or we'd be in starving to death because he'd be fired from his job. :-) Seriously though, we all have to use our time wisely and it's difficult when you feel you should respond and mingle with your FB friends -- especially when you're a novelist and have books for sale. I don't have the answer but I do try to use the time wisely. My tweets feed into FB and LinkedIn (I think) or maybe it's GoodReads. Either way it saves time and so I can be active on all those sites with less effort.

      Delete
    2. That's a great idea, Gail. I didn't realize you could feed them into LinkedIn or GoodReads, too. I'll have to look into that.

      I just wanted to thank you again for an awesome post and taking the time to make a sincere and thoughtful reply to each and every comment made here today. You are an awesome writer and an awesome lady. So glad to know you!

      Many blessings to you!

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!