Friday, August 2, 2013

One Way Writing Can Become a Family Affair by LoRee Peery



LoRee Peery's Family

Unless we brainstorm ideas with other writers—or meet with a critique group—writing is most often a solitary journey. Our spouses, children, and grandchildren can be left on the sidelines. But what would it be like to involve them in the adventure? Author LoRee Peery shares her inspiration. ~ Dawn



One Way Writing Can Become a Family Affair

 When I was a girl of 12, I babysat a family of three girls who lived near our farm in Antelope County, Nebraska. The mother had glued keepsakes within the paper covers of a simple scrapbook, the likes of which I had never seen. I was hooked. I’ve kept scrapbooks since I bought my first one with babysitting money, and made them for my children.

We live in a time when family members often reside far apart. Years ago, before it was the norm for young adults to scatter from their homes, women cooked, canned, and even cleaned together. Families in general gathered on a regular basis, often after church on Sundays, for food and fellowship.

I had already decided to put together a first-sale scrapbook in commemoration of the release of my novel, Moselle’s Insurance, in 2010. So I planned the day to include my daughters and granddaughters, and invited them to join me in the project.

The afternoon began with a visit to Chocolatier Blue, where I treated them to their choice of exquisite, unique chocolates. In creating memories for me, I hope these lovely girls took away something for themselves. We all had fun, and the final product is so much prettier and more meaningful than had I done the selections and arrangements myself. They showed me how far scrapbooking has blossomed.

As for continuing tactile activities, I do a simple collage for my inspirational novels because I need a hands-on visual. And I spent a lot of time on a fictional memoir collage (the story has been reworked many times and remains unpublished). I searched and selected a lot of pictures that turned out to be a mini-scrapbook-collage-story in pictures.

I continue to keep copies of magazine ads, newspaper announcements, and special letters and notes from friends regarding my books. And every once in awhile, for example, when I dust my study or want to be encouraged, I’ll go through the finished Moselle’s Insurance scrapbook. The memories of our girl-day are priceless.

Every time I see the pictures from that day, I remember the laughter and the love. How I went, “Oh,” when one of the girls cut into a copy of the book cover. She felt bad until I assured her it was okay. Or when I offered to dig out my old scrapbooks, my youngest granddaughter said, “I like to put ‘em together, but I don’t want to look at others.”

This subject is not very serious when it comes to writing. But spending memorable moments with family is about as serious as it gets. Well, the occasion can be serious, but the time spent would be pointless without hilarious aspects. I often reflect on that scrapbooking day. “My” girls came together and worked on a project that made me feel their love, and increased my pleasure, due to time spent with them.

I hope you have special memories of celebration with family regarding your published stories.



Dawn here  . . . Have you done anything to involve your own family in your writing journey? Please share your ideas!




Tweetables:  

Create memories by making your writing journey a family affair. Click to tweet.

Have you involved your family in your writing journey? Click to tweet.

Author LoRee Peery creates scrapbooks in commemoration of her new releases. Click to tweet.






Creative artist Moselle Carson gives new life to old items, but she can't seem to renew her shattered ideal of love. When she returns to her hometown to help with a new family business, memories of a broken heart and small-town gossip chip away the tough exterior she's erected over the years. Now she's forced to decide whether she'll rebuild the wall or trust that true love never dies when it is ordained by God.



Generous insurance agent and vulnerable firefighter, Eric Todd, remembers too well how he mistreated Moselle and then set her aside. Now he longs for true love and the second chance to become a husband and father. Can he learn to forgive himself and still keep the secret that may redeem him in her eyes?



           
A Nebraska country girl, LoRee Peery attempts to see God’s presence every day. Often that gift comes from nature, where she is most relaxed. The call of a cardinal draws her to look for the distinctive flash of crimson. A meadowlark’s melody always transports her to the farm where she grew up. A rainbow holds special significance, since one appeared the day of her father’s funeral and means the promise of the Lord’s presence in her life. She clings to I John 5:4 and prays her family sees that faith.


To learn more, please visit: