Thursday, November 22, 2012

This Writer's Thanksgivings by Dora Hiers


On any given day, if you ask my hubby how he’s doing, he will respond, “Life just doesn’t get any better than this.” That doesn’t mean he hasn’t experienced disappointments or struggles, but in his opinion, things could always be worse. Smart man, my hubby. 

Every writer suffers painful circumstances, whether that’s receiving another rejection or a negative review. Groaning and grumbling about our writing disappointments steals our joy and robs us of the abundant life God desires for us. He calls us to 

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; 
give thanks to Him and praise his name.” (Ps 100:4 NIV)

So let’s give Him thanks for our writing blessings! Today, I’m thankful for…

My Father, the God of all creation who continually inspires me with ideas and stories. Our God designed the entire universe, not leaving out a single detail, and yet He loves and cares for us. Isn’t that amazing? What an awesome God we serve!

My hubby. My biggest encourager and loudest fan. He's an integral part of my writing journey, from character development to plotting to marketing. He’s so many other things, but this is a writing blog, so I’ll leave it at that. :-)

Carolina Christian Writers and my Seriously Write team members. Dear friends who make the writing road less lonely and who encourage and uplift others with their sweet words.

Pelican Book Group/White Rose Publishing, Nicola Martinez & my gracious editors. Thank you for believing in me and for providing my stories with a publishing home. That’s how you make me feel. At home. You’re such a blessing to me.

Terry Prather, Emily Leachman and Friends of the Kannapolis Library for encouraging me to share my story and for opening library doors across the country.

Bruiser, my Golden Retriever, for providing me with much needed exercise throughout the day. Let him out, let him back in. Repeat fifty times a day. If it weren’t for him, I would be ten pounds heavier.

What about you?
Care to share your thanksgivings today?

Wishing you a joyous, Son-filled Thanksgiving Day, my friends!