Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Why Do We Doubt God? by Lisa Jordan

Several months ago, I had to renew my family childcare provider license. I set it aside because I was in the middle of final edits for Lakeside Family, which released this month, child assessments and preparing for an upcoming writers retreat.

Then I received a 30-day renewal reminder. I dug out the paperwork, filled out the application, had the required physical and had my son's clearances done.

Once I received his clearances, I could mail everything. The days slipped off the calendar at an alarming rate. I kept asking my son if he received the clearances in the mail.

"Nooo, Mooooom."

Moms of teenagers, I'm sure you can hear it in your head. Then he realized I wasn’t talking about something for college, but for my business. He had received it, but couldn’t find it in the abyss of his bedroom. He started cleaning right away, but I needed a miracle.

I prayed and asked my writing support team to pray.

I had 7 days. Without my renewed license, my business—our primary bread and butter at the time—would close. My stress level was through the roof.

Then, I came to the realization—would closing my business be so terrible? I could work part-time and write a lot more than I do now. God must have a reason for all of this, right?

Maybe I needed to understand He could be sending me down a new path. Maybe I needed to be better organized.

Maybe I simply needed to trust.

I surrendered my fears and anxiety to Him. Whatever happened, I would embrace and move forward.

I mailed what I had with a note explaining the duplicate clearances had been mailed. After receiving my application, my rep called to say she was giving me an extension since she knew the documents were on their way. When I received them, I needed to fax her a copy.

I received the clearances in record time, faxed and mailed copies, and received my new license by the original date. No extension needed.

Why? All because of God.

When I opened the envelope containing my license, I laughed.

Why did I doubt God?

He always answers our prayers, but sometimes we may not like hearing Him say no. No means change. No means pain. No means uncertainty for the future.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 promises "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

What an incredible Life Compass. Even if we have change in our lives, we're not walking toward it alone.

Your turn: Share a time in your life where God provided or pulled you through a situation in a way only He could.

Married 23 years to her real life hero, Lisa Jordan knows a thing or two about romance. She and her husband have two college-aged sons and will be facing an empty nest soon. By day, Lisa is an early childhood educator, and by night, she is a contemporary romance novelist with Love Inspired. Lakeside Reunion, her debut novel, is a 2012 Carol Award Finalist. Lakeside Family, her second novel, releases in August 2012. She is represented by Rachelle Gardner of Books & Such Agency. In her free time (ha!), Lisa enjoys good books, chick flicks, crafting with friends and feeding her NCIS addiction. To learn more about Lisa, visit her website at www.lisajordanbooks.com.

Lisa is celebrating Lakeside Family with a month-long party of giveaways, including Coffee Lovers and Tea Lovers baskets. For more details and to join her party, click here.

10 comments:

  1. It's so hard to offer to lose a dream, isn't it? I've been tempted to stop writing so many times, but the Lord keeps giving it back to me. I keep telling myself that He's in control. That's one of my favorite verses, too.

    Thank you so much for the reminder, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, with homeschooling and some discouraging experiences I recently questioned whether the Lord wanted me to give up my writing. Instead, He sent encouragement and confirmation of my writing journey from some of the most unusual sources.

      Delete
  2. Angie, thanks for inviting me to post on your blog.

    When I was in college a few years ago to get my early childhood degree, God called me to stop writing for 6 months so I could focus finishing my final classes. He allowed me to enter the Genesis that year. I stopped writing, graduated with top honors, then learned I had finaled in the Genesis. It was so hard not to write, but I stayed obedient, and He offered an even greater blessing.

    Allow Him to stay in control and He will lead you down the path He's already laid before you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! You gave it up for six months? And what a blessing you received from your obedience. :) You're right, He is in control.

      Delete
  3. I think you hit on something really true. When we have our own preconceived ideas of how God should answer, it's so easy to freak out when it's not in our little scheme. I do this with writing all the time. Pray for God's leading, but have my own idea of how it should look. Sometimes I miss the provision He's giving or freak out because it didn't happen fast enough.

    But He always comes through, if not in the way I'd hoped for, in His way, a better way.

    Thank you for this post, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ocieanna, someone (I think maybe Chip MacGregor, but don't quote me) once likened God to an iceberg. If you look at an iceberg, the tip out of the water seems massive, but if you look beneath the surface, the mass is so much greater. God is the mass beneath the surface. When I struggle with my shaky faith and trust issues, I try to remember the foundation of the iceberg and remember God is at work, even if I don't see anything happening. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Lisa! I needed this today too. I've been waiting ...and waiting to hear from a publisher on a manuscript. When I get anxious, I need to keep handing the matter back to God. If it's the right timing and what he wants for me and the story, it will happen. No amount of fretting will help or hinder.

    God is like an iceberg. Love that visual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I understand your anxiety. It's so hard to wait, but in the long run, waiting shows God's perfect timing.

      Delete
  5. Your posts are always so encouraging. Thank you for sharing what you've gone through. I can't even begin to list the ways God has provided for my husband and I since 2007 and his job loss. We're giving up his job in two weeks and setting out on faith that God wants us to move back home and start over--but from what I've seen him do for us these past years, I am so less afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing, and that God is indeed AWESOME! I enjoyed your post. I'm thankful to God that we can trust in Him, and I thank God that we can walk with Him step by step through each day. :o)

    [Lamentations 3:22-24 (HCSB)] "Because of the Lord's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness! I say: The Lord is my portion, therefore I will put my hope in Him."

    God bless!- Ashley

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!