Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Journey Towards Writing by Zeke Lam

As it relates to a profession, the desire and ability to write has taken me by surprise. 100 percent of my writing prior to SUBMISSION hinged upon academics or sermon preparation. The thought of putting together an actual book was far from my mind.

In my case, it was a difficult season of life that sparked the desire to write. As previously mentioned, I constantly wrote as a means of preparing to preach and minister, but a trying season in 2009 sparked me towards a new way of sharing the message of Christ.

It is incredible how God can use situations to shape and prepare us for the purpose that He has for our lives. He knows exactly what He must take us through in order to get us in position to advance His Kingdom and glorify His name. In our case this season revolved around two difficult miscarriages. God’s grace is always sufficient and looking back, I know that my wife and I are stronger because of this journey.

With all that being said, my calling and passion to write began in the midst of this trial. The hurt and pain that we experienced was different on many levels than anything we had yet faced.

Prior to these events, God began to highlight the lyrics of Mercy Me’s song Bring The Rain.  The chorus sings: “Bring me joy, bring me peace, bring the chance to be free, bring me anything that brings you glory.  And I know there’ll be days when this life brings me pain, but if that’s what it takes to praise you, Jesus bring the rain”

I can distinctly remember singing that line with such enthusiasm and passion. My heart longed for nothing more than to be used to bring glory to my Savior. The night we lost our second baby, those words ran through my mind offering a fresh perspective. My thoughts revolved around this: “If I want to live to glorify Christ above all else, I have to realize that it is NOT ABOUT ME!” Living to bring glory to the name of Christ means placing my trust in Him no matter the cost or situations I must face.

In a nutshell, this is the testimony of my calling to write. As submission to the voice of God became clearer and burned within my heart, I could not keep myself from writing it down. My prayer is that God not only allows me to continue to write about submission, but more importantly gives me the faith and ability to daily walk it out.


ISBN-13: 978-1-9374-8100-1
ISBN-10: 1-9374-8100-X

ZEKE LAM is the founder of SUBMISSION Ministries—a ministry devoted to seeing lost souls encounter God and live lives fully surrendered to the risen Christ. A graduate of Liberty University, Zeke’s deep passion for following Christ’s will has led him through many years of youth ministry and itinerant evangelism. Both of these experiences have enriched and fueled his desire to hand others the keys to a Christ-centered life. Zeke resides in Virginia with his beautiful wife, Kathleen, and a growing family of future world-changers. 


Connect with Zeke Lam on his website, Submission Ministries.