Friday, January 27, 2012

Fortifying Friday: Can I Do This?



Can I Do This?

When we begin a new manuscript, receive a rejection, or struggle with mastering our craft, we may wonder if we really have it in us to be writers. After all, the journey to publication is not an easy road to travel. There are many who give up and fall by the wayside.

If we truly believe we’re called to write, and we desire to serve God through our words, I believe we won’t settle for mediocrity. Creating and sharing our projects can bring joy and fulfillment in a variety of ways. But writing to our potential means hard work, tenacity, and sometimes sacrifice. It may also require patience and waiting for years to get published.

Can I do this?

Have you ever asked yourself that question?

One of my friends (multi-published) and I recently talked about the projects we’re working on. I’m tackling a genre that I’ve never written before. I explained that it's a little scary for me. I experience fearful moments when I wonder if I'm just kidding myself. Can I really do this? Can I pull it off?

She admitted—and I’ve heard other authors say the same thing—it never changes. As a matter of fact, some multi-published authors express that with each new book, because of expectations, their fear increases. They worry they won’t be able to write the story, and then when it’s published, they fear bad reviews and poor sales. As the saying goes, you’re only as good as your last book….

But God doesn’t want us to be afraid! He put the desire in our hearts to write because he has a plan and a purpose for it.

We can find encouraging words in the Bible when we experience doubt. (I've included one list below.) You may want to keep them in sight in your writing space. When you question your abilities … when you feel stuck … and when you feel discouraged, look to those words to help keep you moving forward with renewed energy and faith in God and yourself.

Have you ever struggled with doubt or felt discouraged? What helped you?

We can do this!

~ Dawn


YOU SAY: “It’s impossible.” 
GOD SAYS: “All things are possible.” (Luke 18:27)

YOU SAY: “I’m too tired.”
GOD SAYS: “I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

YOU SAY: “I can’t figure things out.”
GOD SAYS: “I will direct your steps.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

YOU SAY: I’m not able.”
GOD SAYS: “I am able.” (2 Corinthians 9:8)

YOU SAY: “It’s not worth it.”
GOD SAYS: “It will be worth it.” (Romans 8:28)

YOU SAY: “I’m afraid.”
GOD SAYS: “I have not given you a spirit of fear.” (2 Timothy 1:7)

YOU SAY: “I’m always worried and frustrated.”
GOD SAYS: “Cast all your cares on ME.” (1 Peter 5:7)

YOU SAY: “I’m not smart enough.”
GOD SAYS: “I give you wisdom.” (1 Corinthians 1:30)

YOU SAY:  “I feel all alone.”
GOD SAYS:  “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)

YOU SAY: “I can’t manage.”
GOD SAYS: “I will supply all your needs.” (Philippians 4:19)