Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Grammar-O

Grammar-O Wednesdays
with Ocieanna


Happy Wednesday, grammarians! Ready to test your mad grammar skills?

Each week I (Ocieanna) post a few sentences with grammar, punctuation, spelling, or other writing misdemeanors. Your job is to find the infraction and set it right. If you possess the courage, you’re welcome to post your corrections in the comments, or you may simply keep your grammar to yourself. Then next week, I’ll post the answers.

Have fun!


This week’s new batch:

1) A great aspect about homeschooling are all the things I get to learn.

2) We’re studying Earth Science this weak-rocks, manely.

3) Some rocks, called igneous were formed from hot lava, and some, called sedimentary came from sediments building up in layers.

4) I enjoy learning but I must admit, my kids enthusiasm thrills me most.

5) The other day my six-year-old boy said he wished he had a t-shirt with the 4 main layer’s of the earth on it. Now, thats pretty cool.

Remember, the point is to hunt out the blatantly illegal, not matters of preference or opinion.

Good luck and have fun!


The corrected ones from last week:

1) Last week I spent many hours preparing for my nine year old daughter Gabrielle’s birthday party! Phew!
Correct: Last week I spent many hours preparing for my nine-year-old daughter Gabrielle’s birthday party. Phew!


2) Fancy Nancy was the theme, you may be wondering who is Fancy Nancy.
Correct: Fancy Nancy was the theme. You may be wondering who Fancy Nancy is.
OR: You may be wondering, Who is Fancy Nancy?


3) Fancy Nancy, who Gabrielle loves to imitate, is her favorite book series. When the nine fancy, little girls arrived, my adrenaline was pumping!
Correct: Fancy Nancy, who Gabrielle loves to imitate, is the heroine of her favorite book series. When the nine, fancy, little girls arrived, my adrenaline was pumping.


4) All in all the line-up of crafts, a buffet, cake, punch, and games went good and the Little Darlings said their goodbyes wearing lovely smiles.
Correct: All in all the line-up of crafts, a buffet, cake, punch, and games went well. The little darlings said their goodbyes wearing lovely smiles.


5) As for me, I was exhausted! Still recovering.
Correct: As for me, I was exhausted. Still recovering.
Note: Did you think I missed the fragment? Still recovering. Yes, it is a fragment, but it’s okay to use one if it’s on purpose and it does not cause confusion.
Tip: Exclamation marks. If you look at these sentences as a paragraph, there were way too many! Use sparingly. One per paragraph at the most.


Well, how’d you do? Did you fix all the sentences?

*Disclaimer: I’m by no means perfect at this. I use The Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Dictionary as my sources.