Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Grammar-O

Grammar-O Wednesdays
with Ocieanna


Happy Wednesday, grammarians! Ready to test your mad grammar skills?

Each week I (Ocieanna) post a few sentences with grammar, punctuation, spelling, or other writing misdemeanors. Your job is to find the infraction and set it right. If you possess the courage, you’re welcome to post your corrections in the comments, or you may simply keep your grammar to yourself. Then next week, I’ll post the answers.

Have fun!


This week’s new batch:

1) Last week I spent many hours preparing for my nine year old daughter Gabrielle’s birthday party! Phew!

2) Fancy Nancy was the theme, you may be wondering who is Fancy Nancy.

3) Fancy Nancy, who Gabrielle loves to imitate, is her favorite book series. When the nine fancy, little girls arrived, my adrenaline was pumping!

4) All in all the line-up of crafts, a buffet, cake, punch, and games went good and the Little Darlings said their goodbyes wearing lovely smiles.

5) As for me, I was exhausted! Still recovering.


Remember, the point is to hunt out the blatantly illegal, not matters of preference or opinion.

Good luck and have fun!


The corrected ones from last week:

1) Republicans took the House, Democrats kept the Senate, at least that’s what they’re saying so far. (It’s Tuesday night).
Correct: Republicans took the House; Democrats kept the Senate. At least that’s what they’re saying so far. (It’s Tuesday night.)
Note: Can you think of any other ways to correct this one? I can think of two.

2) I’ve been watching nervously the results.
Correct: I’ve been nervously watching the results.

3) Its easy to get emotional about politics, even angry, however, the Bible calls Christians to respect our leaders.
Correct: It’s easy to get emotional about politics, even angry; however, the Bible calls Christians to respect their leaders.

4) We don’t have to like them, but, we do need to respect them.
Correct: We don’t have to like them, but we do need to respect them.

5) Sometimes Biblical truths are difficult to apply. I, however, will do my best to lie aside my feelings and show respect—even to the politicians I really disagree with.
Correct: Sometimes biblical truths are difficult to apply. I, however, will do my best to lay aside my feelings and show respect—even to the politicians I really disagree with.


Well, how’d you do? Do you think you fixed all the sentences?

*Disclaimer: I’m by no means perfect at this. I use The Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Dictionary as my sources.