Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Grammar-O

Grammar-O Wednesdays
with Ocieanna


I’m starting a new thing for Wednesdays! I don’t know about you, but I’m passionate about … grammar. Yes, grammar. (My husband thinks I’m loony, but he’s nuts over maps, so what does he know?) My idea of a lovely afternoon is sipping tea and talking about gerunds and adverbial phrases, compound sentences, where to put that comma. Fun!

So, we’re going to try out a new format for Wednesdays. Here’s how it’ll work. I’ll put a few sentences up with a number of mistakes in them. Your job is to find the mistakes and correct them! Feel free to post your comments and see if you found all the grammar grenades. Next Wednesday, I’ll put up the answers. Feel free to kindly correct me if you think I’m mistaken!

Love grammar like I do? Give it a go!

*Disclaimer: I’m by no means perfect at this. I’ll be using The Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Dictionary as my sources. The sentences to correct are fictitious.

The first sentences to correct.

1) I’m a writer. I love to write. I wish I could spend every day writing! Then what would my family do without me?

2) Fiction is my favorite (I like other genres, too. I just like fiction best).

3) Three Taylor’s and two Megan’s sat in my writing class.

4) The first Taylor smiled when I brought out the book “Elements of Style.” I knew it’d be a good class.

5) The guy in the front row peaked my interest when he opened a grammar book with a baby on the front cover.


Good luck and have fun!

Ocieanna