Thursday, September 30, 2010

Not by Sight

Thursdays - Dawn's Devotions for Writers

“We walk by faith, not by sight.” (2 Cor. 5:7 NKJV)


Some years ago, while going through a particularly rough time in my life, I heard the song, “Walk by Faith,” by the group called Out of the Grey. My eyes teared up every time I heard it. When it played through my car radio, I hoped the person driving next to me didn’t wonder if I was losing it.

I didn’t cry because the song made me sad. I cried because it gave me so much comfort and hope at a time when my world seemed to be crashing in around me. Things changed and got better. In fact, I’m richly blessed and have a wonderful life now.

I still hold that song close to my heart, and whenever I have doubts about where my life is going, the music and words remind me. We are to walk by faith and not by sight.

This is also true when it comes to our individual journeys as writers. Some may feel they’re called to write, but become frustrated after pursuing dreams that seem illusive. The verse in 2 Corinthians reminds us to step forward - believing that God has a plan, and that He’ll show us the right path. The lyrics in the song mention that though the road ahead isn’t clear, God has brought us here. We don’t have anything to fear.

Sometimes we act like we have more confidence in ourselves than in God. But faith is believing that God is working on our behalf, even when we don’t initially see the results.

By having faith, we’re able to grab hold of the power and promises of God. Without faith, we won’t experience the supernatural work of God in our lives. We’ll be limited to what we can accomplish.

I’ve included the song, “Walk by Faith” below. If you’re struggling with anything today, may it be a balm for your soul.

Dawn