Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Few Surprises

Thursdays - Devotions for Writers

"Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails
." (Proverbs 19:21 NIV)

All writers probably have a dream, vision, or plan of what needs to be accomplished before they can feel successful in their writing careers. The prize may first be a contracted novel. Then it may be a three book contract for a series. For some, it may be an article published in a major magazine.

I have my own dream. But, I’ve also discovered something on this journey. The Lord has a purpose for our writing, which may include a few surprises along the way.

I work for a national telecommunications company. It’s known that I’m a writer, and so through a series of events, I was handed the task of creating a quarterly publication for our department of 90 people.

At first, I thought it a bit daunting. But then – selfishly – I thought how wonderful it would be to have a creative outlet. A breath of fresh air!

I was thinking only about myself. My plan.

Because of time limitations, I requested help. Management and I worked out a way to solicit four other people in the department, with me taking the role as lead editor. I didn’t know what to expect, but God had a plan. He provided a gold mine in the four coworkers who stepped forward.

They've arrived at meetings, excited to offer ideas and suggestions. I’m mentoring one person to someday take over the role of editor. She's struggled with her job and told me this project is the one thing she has. The one thing that helps keep her going.

A young man in his mid-twenties has beamed these past weeks. Desiring to go to art school, the opportunity to design our graphics has been a needed creative outlet for him. He emailed that working on the publication has been a great experience for him.

God had a plan.

I don’t believe my work on this publication was just a way for me to add more credits to my writing resume. I believe the Lord’s purpose also included this small group of people who were feeling just as I was. Desperate to fill the void inside that occurs when we don’t have the opportunity to create.

Sometimes God uses our writing gifts in ways we don’t expect.

Sometimes, God surprises us.

Be open to those surprises . . .

And have a great week.

Dawn