Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Creative Best Series - Part Eight


Net's Notations Tuesdays
Creative Best Series - Part Eight

Here's our next line of Galatians 6:4, The Message:

For doing the Creative Best

When are you at your best? First thing in the morning? After the kiddos are down for the night? Right after your day job? Saturdays? Sunday afternoons? Maybe at 3 a.m. when everyone else is asleep?

You know yourself well, and you know when the optimal time is for you to work. I know an author who, because of her day job, has to be very intentional with scheduling her writing time. But just because the time is scheduled, doesn’t mean she’ll feel free to use it for writing. If, for example, there are other tasks that need doing (because she cannot do them during her workweek), these will need accomplishing first. She works most creatively when she has full permission to do so, even from herself. Does that sound familiar? I’m like that. If there are errands to run or other obligations, it is very difficult for me to give myself permission to get lost in my fictional world and write.

Why does writing take a backseat? It shouldn’t. During this series on being our creative best, we’re giving ourselves permission. Say this aloud: I give myself permission to write. And I take responsibility to be my creative best.

In our service to God, we want to offer Him our best. He deserves this. As a writer, we are writing as unto the Lord, so we should do what we need to in order to offer our highest gift. Right?

If you’re like me, you can be creative in a few different ways—painting, sketching, crafts, scrapbooking, sculpting, music, writing, poetry, songwriting (some of these are applicable to me, some not so much ;-). And you could take those artsy endeavors in a few different directions. For example, you could paint something that glorifies God or something that doesn’t.

He gave you creativity, it’s up to you what you do with it.

Have there been temptations in your life to use your creative gifts in a way that doesn’t glorify your Creator? As a romance writer, I could write for the secular marketplace, penning romances which zero in on lust. Or I can write inspirational romances which glorify God and portray His design between a hero and heroine. The One who gave me the gift of creativity longs for me to glorify Him with that gift. If instead of glorifying sin, I point to God’s heart, His beautiful design for romance, the possible goodness in relationships (sure, show the darkness so the light is brighter, I’m not talking about sugarcoating life), then I can use my gift most honorably.

We have to commit to pursuing God’s best in our use of His gifts. That’s what will last eternally. That’s what will minister to the most people.

That’s how to be our creative best.